I finished up the flanges on the stem of the goblet and cut some more circles of wood for the foot.The foot was cut so that the center hole is the same diameter from top to bottom, while the outsidediameter was increased to give it the 'fan-out' profile of a goblet. Here is a picture of the footall clamped together:
I'm just 'showing off' how many C-clamps I own! I have lots of clamps because I get a thrill out ofgluing pieces of wood together.
This next picture shows the three sections of the drum; the bowl, stem., and foot.
I have decided to make the flange section out of the same material as the rest of the drum. I do havesome concerns about how well the bottom flange will hold up under the tension of a stretched drumhead. I may decide to set in some metal reinforcing plates behind the flange to help spread out theforce that each eye-bolt will have on the wood. If I find some suitable material in the next week orso, then I will probably do that.
Here is a preview of the final 'look' of the drum:
The three sections have not been glued together yet. I think that I may use some dowel joints, especially for the foot section when I finally glue them together.
The height of the drum is a little more than in the proposed design. It is now about 27 inches high.You probably wonder how much this drum weighs. Well, so far it comes to 20 lbs. With the addition of a toe piece and the drum hardware, the final weight could be around 23 lbs.